Our goal at Spectrum is to provide the level of customer service that places us in a class by ourselves. We have provided the answers to many of our most asked questions here. If you have a question that is not listed below, or would like a more detailed explanation, please do not hesitate to contact us.
How long does it take to get a quote?
We currently offer automatic, online quoting for
- Weather Insurance for incremental rain accumulation and dry hours, Golf Tournament Cancellation Insurance, and Big Day Umbrella which is a wedding day rain insurance policy.
- Event Cancellation insurance for the tradeshow industry (tradeshows, conventions, conferences, exhibitions, meetings, seminars, etc.).
- Special Event Liability Insurance for short-term events, annual meeting planner coverage, and short-term or annual exhibitor coverage.
- Prize Indemnity Insurance for golf, basketball, football, and hockey related contests.
For all other coverages which we must address off-line you will still receive a quote within 24 hours of submission, in most cases.
How far in advance do I have to bind coverage?
- Weather insurance coverage obtained through the online process must be bound 7 days prior to the first insured date.
- Weather insurance coverage obtained off line must be bound at least 10 days prior to the first insured date.
- Special Event Liability insurance may be purchased up until the day prior to the event.
- Deadlines for other coverage types varies. Contact Specturm for more information.
What is covered by the Event Weather Policy?
- The event weather policy is provided on a stated value basis, which means whatever value is insured, is the amount you will receive in the event of a claim. The policy trigger is determined at time of binding, for example, 1/4 (0.25) inches or more of rain accumulation during the insured hours of 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM.
How do you determine the amount of the premium?
- There is a predetermined rate that is based on the location and date of the event and the hours of coverage being purchased. Once a rate is determined it is applied to the limit of insurance that is being insured. We are proud to offer very competitive rates.
Can I insure expenses instead of revenue? What about partial revenue?
- If unwanted weather comes it is unlikely to be a total wash out, so unlike most traditional insurance coverages, you do not need to insure to full value of expenses or revenue. Determine the expected amount of loss and insure that amount.
What carriers do you use?
- Our online system provides coverage written on admitted paper with Commerce & Industry Insurance Company, Best Rated A. Coverage for insurance products not available online may be placed with other highly-rated carriers.
What determines how much rain fell at my event?
There are three options available when insuring rain accumulation:
Closest National Weather Station – The station closest to your event will be identified at the time of quoting. This is a free service and in the event of a claim inquiry, we would look up the data directly from the weather station closest to your event and will be able to determine if a claim was triggered.
Independent Weather Observer (IWO) – An IWO is an individual that you would hire who is qualified to take weather measurements. These individuals can be found at your local university, TV station, Radio station, etc. Once the individual fills out a qualification form that HCCSU provides at time of binding he/she will be approved/declined for usage. The insured will be responsible for hiring and paying the IWO per the IWO’s terms, the cost of which is approximately $35 per hour. Spectrum can assist you in locating a qualified observer.
Weather Command – As an alternative to the nearest national weather service station (which may be too far away) or an on-site weather observer (which may be too expensive), WeatherWatch Service is available as a pre-approved alternative for measuring your insured peril. The Weather Command service provides highly accurate location specific measurements. Weather Command uses the latest in weather technology with many weather products from the National Weather Service along with worldwide data services. Weather Command provides forensic measurements by monitoring Doppler radar data showing the storm track and intensity for precipitation in various forms: they use satellite imagery and live weather radar pointed at your specific event location (Street, City, State, & Zip Code) or where necessary other recognized weather measurement methodologies. Weather Command’s trained meteorologists will apply their expert interpretation to the data they obtain to provide a recording of the weather relevant to the Insured Weather Peril of your insurance policy. Weather Command can record rainfall, snowfall, temperatures, and other measurable weather occurrences. The cost for WeatherWatch is $65.00 per insured date (and Peril) regardless of number of hours.
What perils can I insure?
- Weather Insurance can be used to cover perils such as Rain, Snow, Electrical Storm, Wind and Temperature, as well as Adverse Weather which refers to any extreme weather conditions which pose a serious threat to those attending the event. Currently, rain is the only peril available for coverage through our online system. To submit a quote request for any other peril or risk, please visit the Get a Quote! page to have a quote submitted offline to a qualified underwriter.
How can I file a claim?
- Contact our claims department by emailing [email protected] or by calling 781-994-6000.